Food Innovation Challenge
The Food Innovation Challenge is a unique funding opportunity for Canadian food industry collaborators who want to spearhead transformative improvements that will propel the food sector forward and generate significant economic impact.
Who can participate?
To qualify for funding, all project proposals for any call must be:
- Collaborative industry-led initiatives;
- Collaborations that consist of a lead applicant and multiple partners, each of whom is a member of CFIN; and,
- Include at least one small to medium sized enterprise partner, project partners that are incorporated in Canada or working within Canadian research institutions
The total eligible project costs should be between $1 million and $4 million, and the maximum level of matching funding from CFIN will be 50% of total eligible project costs.
Funding will be provided on a reimbursement basis and CFIN will require a non-refundable project management fee of 5% of total project costs eligible for CFIN funding.
2022 - 2023 Call Themes
There is a two-stage application process for the program.
- Applicants will first submit a letter of intent (LOI)
- Selected applicants will then be invited to complete a full proposal.
The 2022-2023 calls will have the following themes:
- Digitization and digitalization solutions that create safer, more secure, and more agile food supply chains. (Spring/Summer 2022)
- Plastics Solutions for Food: Reduction, Replacement, and Recyclability (Fall 2022 – More details to come)
See the Applicant Guide – Call Overview linked below for full details on the Spring/Summer 2022 Call Theme and application questions.
Timeline (key dates)
The below dates correspond to the Digitization and digitalization solutions that create safer, more secure, and more agile food supply chains call for proposals
Letter of intent application opens: June 1, 2022
Info Session: June 7, 12-1 EST
Letters of intent due: July 8, 2022 at Midnight ET
Full proposals due: September 16, 2022
Projects start: November 1, 2022
Projects complete: No later than Mar 31, 2025